[Hidden-tech] Comcast Digital Voice

Will Loving will at lovingcomputing.com
Thu Apr 7 17:26:08 EDT 2005

With all the discussion of internet services, I wanted to say that I am very
pleased with my recent switch from Sprint to Comcast Digital Voice for my
business phone. The signal is much stronger and clearer than what I had with
Sprint or ChoiceOne before that, and I once again have a stutter tone when I
have waiting voicemail, something Sprint did not offer.

The cost is between $40 and $55/month depending on whatever services you
have and includes unlimited calling in US and territories plus all features
such as caller ID, three way calling, forwarding, multiple mailboxes, 911,
etc. Long distance to Canada is 0.05/minute, UK = 0.08/minute, etc and you
can get a second line with unlimited calling for $10 without features or $20
with all features. Installation includes a backup battery unit which keeps a
current on the line for power outages - approx 9 hours of talk time, much
more on standby.

In doing my research on phone options before trying Comcast's service, I
talked with a couple of technicians about how Comcast does this service.
Unlike a 'normal' VOIP service like Vonage or AllTel, Comcast does NOT
convert the signal to IP packets directly from your phone and send them over
you internet connection. Instead, the phone signal runs over the Coax cable
upstream a ways where it is THEN converted to packets. I assume this
explains the difference in quality between my phone service and friends who
have Vonage.

By the way, for those of you who have non-home-based offices, be aware that
if you purchase Comcast Business Internet for your office (home offices and
bars excluded) they throw in Standard cable TV as well. It's not cheap and
you might get a better deal with DSL for static IP internet, but it's
something to be aware of.

Will Loving

--

            DEDICATION TECHNOLOGIES, INC.

         - Developers of StudioSchool Pro -

   Professional FileMaker Pro Database Development
       For Non-Profits, Education and Business
     7 Coach Lane  Amherst, MA 01002-3304   USA
      Tel:1 413 253-7223   Fax:1 413 253-7078
will at humandatadesign.com   http://www.humandatadesign.com