[Hidden-tech] Verizon DSL slow?

Garth Shaneyfelt gshaneyfelt at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 7 11:11:55 EDT 2005

> When I was searching for answers as to whether to go
> with cable modem
> or DSL, alot of "techie" types (have alot of sys
> admin type freinds)
> told me that DSL can slow down significantly based
> on how many users
> are within an area, and your distance to the hub.
> Which seemed like a
> deterrent to me...

Which is odd, because, in fact cable is more likely to
degrade as each "node" is a grouping of up to 255
users (most likely in your neighborhood and all
'sharing' some allotment of bandwidth); whereas DSL
goes from you "direct" to the Verizon/Crocker/etc...
C.O. station.  Now if they don't have enough bandwidth
at the C.O. that can be an issue....

-Garth