[Hidden-tech] Re: networks of sorts in the making

Nick Braak nick at nickbraak.com
Tue Dec 14 13:05:55 EST 2004

Stealth-mode lurker guy here. I'm moving up to the Valley in the New Year so
don't worry if you don't know who the h*ll I am. Meanwhile I'm getting a
feel for what's happening and what's needed from reading the messages. So
far so good.

I like the idea of a useful, searchable directory. I did a stint as a
director of a similar type group out in New Mexico from 02 to 03. The org
(NMIPA) has a public database that is pretty decent and did the job of
letting members find one another for business and resource sharing. Check it
out at www.internetservices.org. The data derives from mandatory member
profiles, followed by user self-upkeep. Since it is a dues-paying group
lapsed members are removed from the database when they bow out.

There are some issues that can come up with this kind of system, as one
might imagine. Some trivial, others less so. We found quality, accuracy and
"freshness" of information were of prime importance. The ability to be
listed in the database was "sold" as a benefit and inducement to join. And
it worked. Now you may be hidden, but out in NM people are hidden AND widely
dispersed. Plus there is a pretty small pie to divide, business-wise,
outside of the labs (Los Alamos and Sandia.)

Anyhow I hope to get to meet some of you in the New Year when I open the new
"Outsource to India Super-Center" on Rt9 next to Stuff It storage. (Pause to
let the previous sentence sink in.) No, just kidding. In reality I do look
forward to adding to the collective knowledge pool and lending a
hand/ear/brain when appropriate.

Nick Braak

(Currently in NYC and not liking it.)