[Hidden-tech] ChatGPT prompt -- I'm impressed

Michael Muller tech at montaguewebworks.com
Tue Mar 28 19:28:15 UTC 2023

Ok, I finally set up an account at chat.openai.com/chat and gave the
following prompt: "Write a short story about a Zimbabwe boy child and a
Chinese girl child who meet at a festival and become friends." The
result was a well written, pretty heart warming story.

As a programmer, I can sort of softly peel back a couple of the layers
to explain how it came up with this, but not the whole thing.

BTW, the Arts festival it lists is real and is happening in four weeks
in Zimbabwe, and Tawanda is the 54th most popular name for boys there.

Mik

-----

*Write a short story about a Zimbabwe boy child and a Chinese girl child
who meet at a festival and become friends.*

Tawanda had always been fascinated by the colorful posters plastered all
over town, announcing the upcoming Harare International Festival of the
Arts. He had never been to a festival before, and the idea of seeing
music, theater, and dance performances from all over the world made him
tingle with excitement.

On the first day of the festival, Tawanda found himself wandering
through the bustling crowds, his eyes wide with wonder. Everywhere he
looked, there were people from all walks of life, dressed in their most
colorful and extravagant outfits. As he was making his way through a
particularly busy section of the festival, he spotted a young girl
standing by herself, gazing up at the towering buildings around her. She
looked lost and a little scared, and Tawanda felt a sudden urge to help her.

"Hello," he said, approaching her cautiously. "Are you okay?"

The girl turned to him and smiled, and Tawanda was struck by her beauty.
Her eyes were dark and almond-shaped, and her hair was black and shiny,
pulled back into two long braids. She wore a traditional Chinese dress,
with a bright red silk skirt and a white blouse adorned with delicate
embroidery.

"I'm fine," she said in perfect English. "I'm just a little lost. My
parents went to see a show, and I got separated from them."

Tawanda knew what it was like to feel lost in a crowd. He offered to
help the girl look for her parents, and together they started weaving
their way through the sea of people. As they walked, Tawanda learned
that the girl's name was Mei, and that she was visiting Zimbabwe with
her family.

As they searched, Tawanda and Mei discovered that they had more in
common than they thought. They both loved music, and Tawanda was
thrilled to learn that Mei played the erhu, a traditional Chinese
instrument. Mei was equally fascinated by Tawanda's stories of
Zimbabwean mbira music and dance.

Eventually, they found Mei's parents waiting anxiously by the entrance
to the main theater. Mei's mother was overjoyed to see her daughter safe
and sound, and she thanked Tawanda for his kindness. Tawanda and Mei
exchanged phone numbers, promising to stay in touch after the festival
was over.

For the rest of the festival, Tawanda and Mei hung out together,
exploring the different performances and getting to know each other
better. They laughed and danced and sang, and Tawanda felt a deep sense
of joy and connection that he had never experienced before. He had made
a friend from a completely different culture, and it had opened up a
whole new world for him.

As the festival came to a close, Tawanda felt a twinge of sadness
knowing that he and Mei would have to say goodbye. But he also felt a
sense of gratitude, for the friendship that had bloomed between them in
the most unexpected of places. He knew that he would always treasure the
memory of that magical week, and the girl from China who had taught him
that no matter where you come from, music and friendship can bring
people together.

-----

Mik Muller, president
Montague WebWorks