[Hidden-tech] * * * Need legal advice on an unauthorized Amazon.com listing * * *

Deborah Chandler debchandler411 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 18:48:55 UTC 2022

Hi folks,

A friend has written several grade school French language textbooks and is
marketing them himself. He printed hard copies with a small publisher. Now,
he just discovered yesterday that the publisher has put them up for sale on
Amazon, as Kindle editions, not hard copies, but this is without any
notification to my friend. My friend needs to take legal action. I am
suggesting perhaps a Cease and Desist letter. He does not have a written
contract with the publisher, it was a gentleman's agreement with someone he
has known for many years. It is really unfortunate that the publisher could
not be trusted.

Does anyone have experience with this type of situation? To make this even
more complex, this is happening in Kenya. My friend is Congolese, and
someone I have known for ten years; he is trustworthy. I have been helping
him with design and copy editing on these books, and know the project
first-hand, and know it is a labor of love and is how he is supporting
himself. However, I have no jurisdiction in taking any action in this
situation myself personally. And sadly, my friend does not have funds for
hiring an attorney. He has asked me to try to help him figure out a
solution. And for sure, Kenya has different laws and legal strategies than
here in the US.

I will be grateful for any and all feedback and advice you can provide,
Deb