[Hidden-tech] Captcha help, please

Stephen Michel s at smichel.me
Fri Jan 21 13:09:24 UTC 2022

That's an interesting perspective on having to run a web search for
something. Personally, I feel the way you expressed about reCAPTCHA,
whereas if I can search something and get the answer on the first page,
that's way easier for me.

However, I think my overall point has been lost somewhat in the details.

The more important point with the hcoop example is that we've had a
static question for many years. Every time I edit the wiki, I put in
one of the same answers ("Richard" or "Carter"). The people who were
spamming us could easily set their bot to know those two specific
answers, and be able to spam us again. But they never cared enough to
do that. I'm even comfortable posting the answers here, publicly!

What that all means is that you probably just need a tiny deterrent to
be left alone.

Certainly, malicious people and bots are likely to try and protect
their identity. I also definitely agree that you need to do something
to stop them! Spam in general is a big problem, and reCAPTCHA does
work…

The point I was trying to make is that it's a big over-reaction, with
collateral damage. It's like setting up a gated community to stop a
string of robberies, before locking your doors. In all likelihood, the
criminal is just looking for easy targets, and will go elsewhere when
you put up the slightest resistance. Something like "What is five plus
two?" may be sufficient.

Best,
Stephen

P.S. I apologize for the length of these emails. I am quite busy
(starting a new job) and lack the time to write a short one.

I also appreciate that the real bad guys here are the spammers. I wish
we lived in a world where you didn't have to deal with this at all.
--
To respect your time, I try to write short, functional emails.