[Hidden-tech] Fire alarm system

Mark D. Hamill markdhamill at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 13:50:09 UTC 2020

All our fire alarms went off at home yesterday, in spite of having the
windows open. That started a frantic effort to replace batteries on the
dozen or so alarms, but some said we needed to replace the batteries even
after we replaced them. So a number of alarms were physically unplugged.

These came with the house and are First Alert brand, testing for smoke and
carbon monoxide. They are five years old. Individual alarms put out
piercing low battery warnings at any time, often in the middle of the
night. To say the least, it's inconvenient.

I'm guessing these alarms all talk to each other. Maybe they are on the
same circuit.

In any event, this is unacceptable. It's scaring the cats half to death.
What I really need is a fire alarm monitoring system that can tell me if a
battery or unit needs replacing before it starts chirping, ideally one I
can monitor on a computer, ideally something that doesn't require a
subscription to a service. Anything like this out there?