[Hidden-tech] Unable to access WordPress forums

Alan Frank alan at 8wheels.org
Tue Mar 31 14:37:07 UTC 2020

I am trying to get WordPress running (because it is part of the AWS
training I'm doing) and ran into an issue.  I figured that I'd ask on
the support forums.  To do this requires an account, so I tried to
register.  I was able to enter my desired username, but then got a 502
error after pressing Submit (or the equivalent).  Nonetheless, I got an
e-mail with a link to complete my registration, but clicking on that
link--maybe a minute or two after it was generated--gave a message that
it was expired.  This was all on Chrome.  I tried again on Firefox and
also got the 502 error.  Any suggestions on how to register, how to ask
my question, or how to let WordPress know about my registration issue?

I suppose I could ask a friend who is already registered to post the
support issue for me, but getting my own account would be preferable.

I did not post this to fish for a solution to the original problem, but
in case anyone is curious, the issue is that wp-load.php calls wp(),
which fails because the function is not defined.  Grepping the directory
does not show it as being defined anywhere.  There is no ?> at the end
of that file, so I thought that maybe it had been truncated, but the
original on Github looks the same.  A similar question was posted a
couple of years ago on the WP support forum and the issue was that
wp-config.php had been blanked, but that is not the case here.

--Alan