[Hidden-tech] so many duplicate files

Chris Landry chrislandry100 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 21:26:28 UTC 2020

Hi Elyssa,

As others have said, an external drive will be your friend. Here’s a process you might use.

1. Download Grand Perspective <http://grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net/>, a free app that will show graphically what’s taking up the most space. DaisyDisk <https://daisydiskapp.com/> is similar, and costs $10.

2. Run either one of those apps to show what’s on your Mac and it will show you the largest files. Move them to your backup disk (if you still need them, otherwise delete them), then delete them from your Mac (and empty the trash).

3. If you have 12,000 jpgs you could just move all of them to a photos folder on the external drive, too.

4. Then get an app like Gemini 2 <https://macpaw.com/gemini>, which will find and delete duplicate files on your Mac. (You can also run it on the external hard drive to get rid of duplicates there).

5. Clean My Mac <https://cleanmymac.macpaw.com/20?campaign=cmmx_search_text_brand_us&ci=105095406&adgroupid=15565330806&adpos=1t1&ck=cleanmymac%203&targetid=kwd-111733657446&match=%7Bif:e%7D&gnetwork=g&creative=197446344603&placement=&placecat=&accname=cmm&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjO-Yi6ro5gIVCmyGCh2qHQPzEAAYASAAEgKZhvD_BwE> is another very good app that gets rid of lots of built-up “system junk" and other files you don’t need. It’s good for regular maintenance and will often create a huge amount of space.

6. Go to Settings > iCloud and set it to hold your photos in the cloud so they are not taking up space on your Mac. You can get 50gb of storage for a dollar a month, or 200gb for $3/month. You can also store other files (documents, etc) in the cloud. You will see small versions of the photos in the Photos app, but they won’t be taking up so much space and they will be safer in the cloud, too.

7. You might need help getting rid of the duplicate accounts, since the apps mentioned above will only check one account at a time. If you make an appointment at the Apple store it won’t cost you anything.

8. Once you have your machine in good order, duplicate files gone and large files moved to the backup drive, you want to keep things orderly. Maybe you want to buy a second 2 TB hard drive and use Disk Utility to split it into two virtual drives. Use one half for Time Machine backups and use the other for occasional Super Duper backups of your Mac. The Apple store might be able to help with this, too.

Most people are terrible at backing up their stuff. Here’s a basic approach <https://www.backblaze.com/blog/the-3-2-1-backup-strategy/>.

Good luck!

Chris

Chris Landry