[Hidden-tech] halp ......so many duplicate files

Rich@tnr rich at tnrglobal.com
Fri Jan 3 14:26:17 UTC 2020

I am dealing with a similar case now, and a warning - Time machine
requires a good bit of working space
SO if you are having space issues, time machine will not work even
incrementally.

As 2nd drive is the best solution. There are various 'diff' versions
that can do bulk and sub-directory comparisons.
Well worth having.

Also, I have found switching from iPhoto to Photo appears to leave a
large number of complex working files,
sorting that out now.

In general, images and worse videos is what fills up a disk, it takes
1000's of documents to take the same place as one video.
Also, if the older machine backup includes system images and/or
downloaded installers (usually many copies)
those can be deleted - they are of no use.

Advanced technical help is often very warned, think about it - few
people have a car without regular use of a shop.
Computers are equally or more complex.

Good luck

Rich

--