[Hidden-tech] Favorite Secure Email Service

Stephen Michel s at smichel.me
Wed Apr 8 15:25:18 UTC 2020

Very short version: *Probably* the best thing is to use Signal, not
email.

Short version: Email isn't secure. I can write (or better, link to) a
longer explanation of why that's the case, but the bottom line is that
it just wasn't built for privacy. You *can* build a secure system on
top of email, by encrypting things before you send them through email
using a different tool (pgp), and then decrypting them on the other
end. But that's hard for most people to set up and still lacks a couple
important security features (forward secrecy, metadata security).
There's also providers like protonmail which add a *little* security.
While acknowledging that something is better than nothing, there's
still flaws in these systems and you shouldn't think you're getting
strong security from using them.

Longer version (in a follow-up email): This question as it stands is
impossible to answer well, because security is a spectrum. Edward
Snowden, the president, and you all have very different security needs.
In order to arrive at a good answer, you need to figure out your
security model.

- Who do you want privacy from? Random everyday people? Friends? An
abusive ex/partner? The government? A hacker? For whoever it is, are
they doing it en masse or targeting you specifically?
- Who will you be communicating with? If it's an elderly
parent/grandparent, you need something simple enough that they can use
it. Otherwise, it doesn't matter how good the security is.
- What information are you trying to protect? Is it just the contents
of the conversation, or also the people you're talking to (eg, a
whistleblower contacting a journalist needs this).

For most "regular" people, I think Signal is a pretty good fit, and
that's why I recommended it given I know nothing about your use case.
--
I try to write short, functional emails.