[Hidden-tech] Setting up a home area network, HAN

Hai Nguyen Ly h.nguyen.ly at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 22:09:06 UTC 2019

Good afternoon hidden techies:
We recently purchased a house in Florence and are in the process of overhauling the electrical system from knob and tube with fuse panels to something a bit more modern. As part of this electrical upgrade, I’m considering and researching the possibility of setting up a communications closet to facilitate a central point for hosting network gear. Ideally, I’d like to run one or two network drops to as many of the rooms as possible. At the moment, I’ve mapped a closet on the main floor under the stairs as a possible location. Alternatively, the basement has many possibilities for hosting this type of setup.
I’m looking for individuals with requisite knowledge and experience creating these types of installations to provide an estimate for materials and performing the work. Please keep in mind that this is a residential setup with the goal of creating a robust hardwired network that is expandable for supporting the networking needs of future technology advancements. I may get a lot of flack for stating that I’m not working with an enterprise budget, however I have an appreciation for enterprise/commercial equipment. Thanks in advance for any thoughts/recommendations.

Cordially:
Hai Nguyen Ly