[Hidden-tech] durable DVD writer

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon May 6 20:27:17 UTC 2019

At Mon, 6 May 2019 14:02:35 -0400 Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu> wrote:

> Does anyone have knowledge or experience about DVD drives with respect to writing lots of DVDs
> without burning out?
>
> I've been producing DVDs of historical primary source material (see, e.g.,
> https://www.worldcat.org/title/moreygraham-historical-letters/oclc/904725729) on my grandfather (see
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Crockett_Graham). In March, I was about to head out to China for
> a three week trip, and I was pulling an all nighter producing DVDs of my latest project with 23 of
> his diaries. At 6am on the morning that I was leaving, my DVD drive took the usual length of time to
> burn a DVD (seems like forever), then it started the verification scan, took a long time and
> summarily spit out the DVD, saying it was unable to verify it. I went through 4 DVDs with the same
> result. This was from a stack of 100 good quality Sony DVDs that I had been pulling from for quite a
> while with no problems.
>
> At the point that the drive failed, I had been burning DVDs non-stop for well over 12 hours. All
> told on this round going back a couple of days, I had burned something like 50-60 DVDs. Previously,
> I had used the drive to burn other DVDs.
>
> This is not the first time I have had this experience. Maybe the third. (i.e. bought a new drive and
> then had it burn out.)
>
> I'm using an iMac which I think is about 2014, running MacOS Mojave, with an Apple USB Superdrive.

I've had NO such trouble with an *internal* SATA drive in a "PC" tower.  I
have no idea how many DVDs I have burned (hundreds and hundreds possibly
pushing towards 1000).  This is what info I have on it:

  Vendor: Optiarc  Model: DVD RW AD-7241S  Rev: 1.01

The *only* issue I am having with it is the tray eject motor seems to be
wearing out.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933