[Hidden-tech] Domain Registrars

Michael Muller tech at montaguewebworks.com
Wed Mar 21 13:06:22 EDT 2018

Hello all,

Montague WebWorks uses GoDaddy for its registrar, and we now hold 394
domain names there.

While for the most part I enjoy their Domain Manager, there is always
room for improvements... as well as possible savings.

GoDaddy has a bulk-buying club, of sorts. You pay something like $125 a
year to get reduced pricing, so most domains cost about $9.20 instead of
$15. We charge our customers only $10/year to manage their domains for
them, which saves us TONS of time tracking down and assisting them in
managing their domains at whatever registrar they initially bought itif
they forgot to renew or their card expired. I'm more than happy to make
only 80c per year on these domainsfor this reason.

I don't relish the thought of transferring that many domain names to
another registrar, but I'm curious who any of you use if you host
websites and manage domains for your customers.

My questions are:

  * Who do you useas a registrar, if not GoDaddy?
  * Do they have a white-label service, and if so, what does it cost?
  * How much do you pay per domain, on average?
  * How good is their management platform? Can you make multiple-domain
    changes in a single action?
  * Any other good tips.

Thanks,

Mik