[Hidden-tech] Social Media Safety Skills Slack Chat (1/25)

Kat Friedrich katherineafriedrich at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 16:17:28 EST 2018

It's risky being a journalist on social media these days. How can we
protect our safety, our reputations, our careers, and our publications?

Join Online News Association Western New England for a Slack chat in which
we'll be looking at tips from experts and sharing our insights about what
works.

You'll leave the chat with a set of intro-to-intermediate-level resources
you can use to manage your privacy, handle online debates, and reduce web
harassment. The conversation will take place on the ONA Local Slack
channel.

Kat Friedrich will host the chat and present the tools. She is a news
editor who is originally from Chicago, lives in Vermont, and has worked as
a mechanical engineer. She changed careers to study journalism and
environmental studies. Starting an entrepreneurial news project about clean
energy led to her being recruited by Yale University as a self-employed
journalist. Her students are experimenting with the latest innovations in
online media, solutions journalism, and environmental reporting. She has
close to a decade of self-defense experience that includes some training in
verbal and online conflict resolution.

IT professionals who are interested in media are welcome to attend.

Join the meetup to RSVP <https://www.meetup.com/ONA-Western-New-England/>. Join
ONA to receive access to the Slack channel <http://www.journalists.org/>.

ONA Western New England <http://www.meetup.com/ONA-Western-New-England/> is
a place where you can meet local writers, editors, innovators,
photographers, producers, academics, entrepreneurs and technologists who
produce news for and support digital news delivery systems.
Online News Association is the world’s largest association of digital
journalists. ONA’s mission is to inspire innovation and excellence among
journalists to better serve the public. For more information, check out
http://www.journalists.org.

Best,

Kat Friedrich

--
Kat Friedrich <http://cbey.yale.edu/our-community/kat-friedrich>
News Editor <https://www.linkedin.com/in/katfriedrich>
katherineafriedrich at gmail.com

*Graduate of the ASNE Emerging Leaders Institute for editors from minority
backgrounds in journalism*