[Hidden-tech] So maybe I'll buy a PC and not a Mac—advice, please

Shel Horowitz shel at principledprofit.com
Mon Feb 26 15:46:04 EST 2018

Thanks to all of you who responded to my query last week about which Mac to
buy. It seems that neither of the Macs I asked about will really work for
me, and the one that would is going to be about $2000.

Meanwhile, Dell happened to mail me a flier today. For $600 plus $150 for
MS Office—I've tried some of the freebie Office clones and NOT been happy—I
can get an 8GB laptop with the Intel 7th Generation chip. I don't know yet
about what ports it has, which was a major problem with the Mac. I figure
at minimum, I need a power port plus two USBs, plus an SD reader. And a DVD
ROM drive would be highly desirable, especially as our video player stopped
talking to our TV.

I've tested Gmail, Twitter, PowerPoint and Word on my wife's older PC
laptop and it seems the adjustment between operating systems is much
smoother than in the past. The last PC machine I owned was a NEC laptop
running Windows 3.1.

So anyway, I'd love advice on:

   1. Good, reliable, fast machines to buy, preferably from
   socially/environmentally responsible companies and under $1000
   2. Anything I should be wary of in switching operating systems
   3. A cheat-sheet on keyboard commands for things like taking screenshots
   and making PDFs (both VERY easy to do on Mac)
   4. What does that right button actually do?
   5. With PCs known for far greater virus issues than Mac, what
   precautions will I need to take?
   6. Is there easy built-in software or freeware for making videos? Making
   text or menu macros?

Thanks, as always.

Shel Horowitz - "The Transformpreneur"(sm)
Watch (and please share) my TEDx Talk,
"Impossible is a Dare: Business for a Better World"
*http://www.ted.com/tedx/events/11809
<http://www.ted.com/tedx/events/11809>**
<http://www.ted.com/tedx/events/11809>*
(move your mouse to "event videos")

Contact me to bake in profitability while addressing hunger,
poverty, war, and catastrophic climate change

Twitter: @shelhorowitz

* First business ever to be Green America Gold Certified
* Inducted into the National Environmental Hall of Fame

http://goingbeyondsustainability.com
http://transformpreneur.com
mailto:shel at greenandprofitable.com * 413-586-2388
Award-winning, best-selling author of 10 books. Latest:
Guerrilla Marketing to Heal the World (co-authored with Jay Conrad Levinson)

ᐧ