[Hidden-tech] JOB: Senior Copy Editor, Freelance

Editor Editor at aceee.org
Mon Sep 11 17:01:34 EDT 2017

The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE) is looking for a freelance copy editor with at least 10 years of experience editing long, fairly technical research reports. We will offer you a steady stream of contract assignments if you meet our requirements.

Please do not reply to this notice if you answered our previous ads. We have your application on file and will automatically consider you for this position.

We'd like someone who knows the 16th edition of The Chicago Manual of Style backward and forward and who is good at cross-checking technical data. You should also be expert in editing not only for grammar and style but also for clarity, brevity, and readability.

You must have at least a bachelor's degree and at least 10 years of solid copy editing and substantive editing experience. You should also be proficient with a recent version of Microsoft Word. Although not required, we would particularly like to find someone who can manage major editorial and publication projects in addition to being an expert editor. Please also note if you are experienced in formatting Word documents on a PC.

Please email your resume and a cover note with the subject header "Editor" to editor at aceee.org<mailto:editor at aceee.org> by September 27, 2017. We'd be grateful to know where you saw this ad. No phone calls please.

Be sure to answer all three parts of this question in the body of your email:

How would you edit the following passages to make them direct and concise and to correct any errors?

(a) As reported by the Committee, the administration of the program was found to be significantly deficient.  Termination was recommended.

(b) The administration of the program is shared by a substantial number of agencies, however, the impact of this on the quality of the program is not significant.

(c) US 2009 average annual residential electricity consumption was over 11000 kwh (kilowatt hours) or 1.1 mwh (megawatt hours) of electricity per year, almost 3 times the New York State rate of about 6500 hours. Having examined the multiplicity of possible causes for this discrepancy, no single cause is paramount, however the EIA's explanation is possible.

********

ACEEE is a nonprofit organization that acts as a catalyst to advance energy efficiency policies, programs, technologies, investments, and behaviors. ACEEE is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability.