[Hidden-tech] Verizon FIOS

Nick Ring media at amherstmedia.org
Fri Oct 27 15:18:09 EDT 2017

A couple of quick notes:

Municipal contracts with cable providers are generally non-exclusive. The cable companies negotiate amongst themselves for non-compete (you take this area, I’ll take that). I doubt the City is keeping Verizon out. Verizon over committed on FiOS rollout some years ago and then pulled back greatly. Also, the scope of these franchise agreements only allow the municipality to deal with cable-related services (not broadband or telephony coming over the same “wires”) and the municipality has no say on cost/fees.

fun!

-nick

nick ring
director of media technologies