[Hidden-tech] Resolved: Changing the URL of a Wordpress site

Gordon Kramer gsethkramer at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 24 11:37:39 EDT 2017

Just want to thank everyone who contributed their suggestions - and describe how it was solved, in case it's useful to anyone else:
PROBLEM: Wordpress is installed in a subfolder of the main site, eg, http://mysite.com/wp-folder. You get a domain name for the site (http://mynewdomain.com) and point it to that folder, which works fine - BUT: menu links within the site still go back to the subfolder: i.e., to http://mysite.com/wp-folder/my-wp-page rather than http://mynewdomain.com/my-wp-page. SOLUTION:

   - Do a complete site backup, just in case:

   - Go into phpMyAdmin in the hosting account, select the Wordpress site's database, and Export the entire database to a SQL file; save offline
   - Go into File Manager in the site's cPanel; select the Wordpress installation folder and click 'Compress' to copy the entire site content into an archive file (zip, etc). Download and save offline

   - In the Wordpress admin, install a URL-updating plugin; Velvet Blues Update URL worked very well
   - Run the plugin; this is how it works in Velvet Blues: Enter "http://mysite.com/wp-folder" as the old domain, "http://mynewdomain.com" as the new; click Update URLs NOW
   - Go to Settings > General. Change both the Wordpress Address and the Site Address to "http://mynewdomain.com"; click Save Changes
   - Done! The Wordpress admin can now be accessed in the new domain, and all the links within the site resolve to addresses in the new domain.

Regards,
   Gordon Kramer