[Hidden-tech] Text Manipulation Problem

Lee Feldscher lfeldscher at northamptonit.com
Sat Oct 21 14:15:48 EDT 2017

I saw a recommendation for Perl. This could also be done using Filemaker scripting, since you have that tool available.

If you’d like to try your hand at Filemaker scripting here’s some info from Filemaker.
https://www.filemaker.com/help/14/fmp/en/html/create_script.14.3.html

https://www.filemaker.com/help/14/fmp/en/html/help_script_alpha.html#66468

Happy to help if you’d like a hand with the scripting.

Lee Feldscher
Northampton IT
[Northampton IT-01 quarter]
(347) 831-3800
lfeldscher at northamptonit.com<mailto:lfeldscher at northamptonit.com>
www.northamptonit.com<http://www.northamptonit.com/>

I have a hard copy list of names, addresses and phone numbers. I can scan to PDF and then copy and paste to a text editor (BBEdit) or other file. I then need to manipulate the text so that I end up with a csv file that can be opened by a spreadsheet program. Tools that I have at my disposal include BBEdit (with Grep), a MAMP stack, NeoOffice (Mac version of OpenOffice) and FileMaker.

Input looks like this:

John Doe
(413) 111-1111
123 First St Greenfield 01301
Jane Smith
456 So Main Ln Greenfield 01301
Jane Ann Smith
(413) 222-2222
78 Main Ct Greenfield 01301

Note that all addresses will include 'Greenfield 01301' and, if the data includes a phone number, it will start with '(413)'.

Output should look like this:

John,Doe,(413) 111-1111,123 First St,Greenfield,01301
Jane,Smith,,456 So Main Ln,Greenfield,01301
Jane Ann,Smith,(413) 222-2222,78 Main Ct,Greenfield,01301

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

David