[Hidden-tech] Advanced security audits

Rob Laporte rob at 2disc.com
Sat Oct 21 10:55:02 EDT 2017

Hi HTers,

It’s long been on my todo list to go beyond the likes of Norton antivirus to sweep my office security. For example, my Mac has the great Little Snitch software that alerts one when any software attempts to communicate with outside servers, and one can allow or disallow such connections once, until quit, or forever. It’s amazing how many such connection are requested by this or that software, app, or browser extension. Over time, the list of allowed connections grows, and some seem allowed because I allowed something else. Similar concerns apply to my cable modem/router and to some of those Mac processes reported in Activity Monitor and its equivalent in PCs (we have both Macs and PCs).  I wonder if anyone on this list does or knows someone who does such security audits. I’m talking much more expertise than someone who just works on networks and/or Macs & PCs; rather, a dedicated security person.

In a related topic, a year or so ago I linked a few documents (or folders, forget which) in our Google Drive with our Google Analytics, and I saw a suspicious referral in GA, which seemed to indicate a Russian source made visit, though probably did not actually get in. I believe Google can afford and implements fantastic security on Drive, but as I move everything to Drive, I wonder about that security too.

Years ago my firm got out of web dev, except for a few legacy clients, in part because the legal liabilities of being involved in website ecommerce transactions aren’t worth the revenue. That, and (1) being on call 24x7 is a drag, and (2) web dev, like all things web marketing, demands ever more dedicated expertise to do well. Anyway, I would think that firms and solopreneurs out there who do web dev would benefit from such a security audit. It seems a good opportunity for a local firm to announce such security audits on this list.

Best Regards,

Rob Laporte
Founder & Managing Partner
DISC, Inc. - "Making Web Sites Make Money"
413-584-6500
Rob at 2disc.com
www.linkedin.com/in/2disc
www.2disc.com

NOTE: Emails can be blocked by spam filters throughout the web. If you don’t get a reply within an expected span of time, please call.