[Hidden-tech] Question Regarding Consulting

Don Lesser dlesser at ptraining.com
Mon Nov 20 09:29:25 EST 2017

I have always found the language of “not closely supervised” as a standard for contractors to be stupid. If I hire a contractor to rebuild a bathroom or teach a particular class or to program a specific module, I have defined the job. I don’t want a new living room, a different class, or a phone app instead of an SQL database. So I am telling the contractor what to do which seems in conflict with the rules. I don’t tell a carpenter which hammer to use or how to install a stud. I do tell a trainer what materials to use, which examples to use, and my standards for professional behavior. I do tell a consultant to use the development platform the client uses since no client will, for example, allow us to use MS Access instead of Crystal Reports, which they use for all other reporting.

That said, informally, if you hire a contractor, train them in your materials, and then let them teach it, it seems you have enough of a hands-off relationship for a 1099. Most of the contracting agencies I know of, however, have gone to a W2 without benefits because it protects them. The exception is if the contractor has a corporation. (Not sure about LLCs, partnerships, etc.) In this case, the agencies are OK paying the corporation and letting the contractor take care of taxes.

Another potential issue is that all contractors are required to have Workman’s Comp insurance for themselves. As a corporation, I have been required to pay for Workman’s Comp insurance for all my contractors just as though they were employees. Only one contractor I know of actually has WC insurance. I am not addressing telling untruths to your insurance agency. That is between you and them.

Decide what will let you sleep better and check with your accountant to be sure.

Don Lesser

Pioneer Training, Inc.

139B Damon Road, Ste 8

Northampton, MA 01060