[Hidden-tech] Seeking: Nerd-Fun Store Operator

Michael White mike at ftllabscorp.com
Wed May 24 12:53:12 EDT 2017

As many of you know, the often-beloved game store under The Works downtown,
"Worlds Apart Games", went out of business about a month ago and there has
been an effort by a group of downtown business people to come up with a
replacement that rejuvenates the role of self-supporting nerd hangout that
the old store fulfilled.

My company, FTL Labs Corporation, is a tech development firm, and we are
working with a larger group to make this happen.  Based on many, many
discussions with past volunteers, customers, and interested parties, we
would like to open a new store with a somewhat broader focus than Worlds
Apart.  The current concept includes:

1. A VR room in the back, that FTL will provide hardware for - this will be
pay to play
2. Several free video game tables - FTL will provide
3. Games - including chess, Pokemon, and Magic the Gathering and tables for
playing them
4. Group Video Games - on our network, with a projector, bring your own
laptop (maybe league games too, as "eSports" heats up).
5. Raspberry Pi - for sale, projects, and running game servers
6. Legos - possibly a "build and pay by weight of your creation" model
7. Some books and graphic novels
8. Some classes and clubs with fees (chess, Pi, magic, Legos, arts, crafts,
etc.)
9. One full-time manager, and other volunteer operators
10. Packaged snack sales, popcorn and possibly a high-tech, touch screen
soda machine

Retail sales will be focusing on games and low-cost tech targeting the
$20-50 "birthday present for teen/tween nerds" market, that we think is
under-served by the Toy Box down the street.

FTL will help with accounting and initial stock purchases to get things
rolling.  All together, we expect the investment in stock, furniture, and
tech hardware loans to be about $10,000.

What we are missing is someone to lead the store.  This will require
someone with boundless energy, a deep interest in all things nerdy and
techy, someone with retail experience to guide buying and selling, and
(most critically) someone who will only get paid if the store is doing
well, and probably will make nothing for some time.  Perhaps someone
entrepreneurial with a second income from somewhere, or retired?  It will
not be easy to find the right person, because this is a full-time (or more)
job, and multi-year, year-round.  It could be profitable in the long run,
as FTL is not looking to profit at all, but it will take some time to get
it off the ground, and eventually FTL can get paid back.

Without the lead person, however, it never gets off the ground.

The space is being renovated by the landlord, and we have held some
furniture from the old store, and we rescued lots of (low value) Magic
cards to start that side of the store with.

Please let me know if you know the person who wants to make it happen!
Other suggestions and participation are also welcome.

Thanks for your help!

Michael White, Ph.D.
CEO/CTO, FTL Labs Corporation
303.317.6566