[Hidden-tech] HIPPA Compliant

Bruce Hooke bghooke at att.net
Wed Mar 1 11:50:56 EST 2017

I'd think carefully about what, exactly, it is that your client is really
looking for. First off, is it really necessary to send patient health
information (PHI) by email? If no, then this whole question should be moot.
If yes, then the email should be encrypted, at which point, as long as both
the sender and receiver are using a local email client (i.e., not a webmail
interface) who transmits the email should not matter. Keep in mind that once
the email is moving between the sender and the receiver you can't control
what servers it moves across, so who your email provider is doesn't really
matter. Thus the need for encryption.

Email is generally problematic for transmitting PHI. Encryption is a hassle
to implement and in general is going to work best between senders and
receivers who regularly transmit PHI between each other, and so have a
reason to jump through the hoops of setting up encryption and making sure
it's working. So, I'd look carefully at whether there's another solution,
such as an email that directs someone to a secure website where they can log
in and see the PHI.

Please keep in mind that HIPAA is legal terrain. I have some experience with
HIPAA but I'm not a lawyer. Seek legal advice from a qualified lawyer before
making decisions that might have serious legal consequences.

Bruce

  _____