[Hidden-tech] Looking for Stereo Setup Assistance

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Apr 18 11:49:43 EDT 2017

At Tue, 18 Apr 2017 10:54:53 -0400 Michael Muller <tech at montaguewebworks.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> With the coming of the good weather, I'm getting ready to set up my
> backyard for outdoor sound.
>
> I already have four Advent Marbl speakers and a decent car stereo
> hard-wired to a strong DC power supply.
>
> If I put the volume above 50% the speakers just put out fuzz. Total
> crap. And this is with only two of the speakers connected. So...
>
>   * Is it the speakers? (175w RMS)
>   * Is it the wiring? (16 gauge)
>   * Is it the stereo? (18w RMS)
>   * Is it the power supply? (12vDC* 10A = 120w)
>
> I'm looking for someone who works at a car stereo installation place, or
> who really knows about this kind of stuff down to the technical wattage,
> ohms, wire-length and gauge, etc. level.

I don't know much about car stereo, but working with the Full Moon Coffeehouse
sound system (with advice from Klondike), it seems like your car stereo is not
putting out enough power to drive the speakers.  Are these Advent Marbl big
indoor type speakers?  If so the *little* car stereo is not really designed
for that.  It is for the *little* dashboard speakers typical in a car.  The
"fuzz" output suggests that the stereo's output drivers are going into some
sort of overload state.

Is there some reason you can't use a proper high power (eg ~200W or something)
home stereo system?  I fully understand using big speakers outdoors -- they
would be needed to cover the space, but that means you need a powerful enough
amp to drive them.

> Ultimately I want to drive eight speakers from one unit, using the
> "front" and "back" settings on the car stereo, and the "surround"
> line-out on each of the four main speakers. See the attached PNG file if
> you're interested.

Be carefull of putting too many speakers on any *one* output: you will hit
impedance and power load issues.

> https://www.ebay.com/p/Advent-Marble-Main-Stereo-Speakers/69600291
>
> https://www.crutchfield.com/S-xO4AMhTXX8Q/p_500CDA9883/Alpine-CDA-9883.html
>
> Please contact me if you're interested in helping me on-site
> (Greenfield), or pass this along to someone you may know who knows about
> this stuff.

I'd suggest John "Klondike" Kolher of Klondike Sound.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933