[Hidden-tech] Word/Office clones that do Japanese well

Shel Horowitz shel at principledprofit.com
Fri Oct 7 17:37:57 EDT 2016

I just helped my stepfather, who is Japanese and a literary novelist, to
buy a new MacBookAir. He is replacing a 2004 Mac running OS 10.4.

We are having some issues getting the new machine to

   1. type in Japanese (yes, we know about the Languages selection tool,
   and yes, we tried a font that we believe is Japanese)
   2. type vertically (from top to bottom, starting on the right) *while
   orienting the letters correctly.* We found the vertical text option, but it
   turns the letters sideways, which isn't going to work.

Also, I want him to get something like OpenOffice or NeoOffice so he can
test it out and maybe not have to buy Word--or at least a test version of
Word--so he can make sure it works before his two-week grace period is up.
I can't find a version of Open Office in the App Store, and the version
from their website won't run because it was not from the App Store.
NeoOffice is in the App Store but it costs money, and I don't want to buy
it if he's going to end up buying Word anyway. However, it is a lot cheaper
and my guess is it might be simpler for him to get used to. He is 86, not
at all tech-savvy, and using Word 2004, which has a much simpler interface.

All suggestions very much welcome.

Thanks,

Shel Horowitz - "The Transformpreneur"(sm)
Watch (and please share) my TEDx Talk,
"Impossible is a Dare: Business for a Better World"
*http://www.ted.com/tedx/events/11809
<http://www.ted.com/tedx/events/11809>*

Contact me to bake in profitability while addressing hunger,
poverty, war, and catastrophic climate change

Twitter: @shelhorowitz

* First business ever to be Green America Gold Certified
* Inducted into the National Environmental Hall of Fame

http://goingbeyondsustainability.com
http://transformpreneur.com
mailto:shel at greenandprofitable.com * 413-586-2388
Award-winning, best-selling author of 10 books. Latest:
Guerrilla Marketing to Heal the World (co-authored with Jay Conrad Levinson)