[Hidden-tech] Stolen Macbook - Please Help

Monica Goggins monica.elise3 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 14:37:17 EDT 2016

Hi All -

I apologize for the delayed response in getting back to you, but I've
received quite a few e-mails back wondering how it all went down so here
goes:  I received an e-mail from "Find My Mac" that read: Monica's Macbook
was found near such and such address - keeping it confidential here folks -
but it gave me an exact address and time.  It then proceeded to give me an
option to view location and I got a perfect google satellite view of the
house in which it was found.  I proceeded to call the police department in
the county where it was located and told them of the whereabouts and not
even an hour later they called me and said they'd retrieved my Macbook and
arrested the kid who stole it.  He was charged with Larceny over $250 - a
felony that could get him kicked out of school, sentenced to up to 5 years
in prison depending and fined up to $25,000.  I sure hope he learned his
lesson! and I hope this helps anyone who may have a piece of technology
stolen from them in the future - though I hope this never happens to
anyone.  Even if you didn't previously have Find my Mac turned on - as I
did not - you can go under All Devices on Find My iPhone through iCloud or
on your cellular device and hit Notify When Found and Play Sound which
means whenever the laptop connects to an IP address or Wifi (not sure if
this is the correct terminology) it will immediately notify you of its
location regardless of if the laptop is locked or not - if it is turned on
and in range, you'll get some type of notification.  Phew! That was a
mouthful, but I wish you all well on your future endeavors and please feel
free to contact me if you ever have any problems in regards to stolen
devices - I'm pretty tech savvy.

                                           Best,
                                             Monica Goggins