[Hidden-tech] little rant about OSX

Chris Hart chris at chrishart.net
Thu Mar 10 11:41:35 EST 2016

Very much in agreement, Zach, about keeping free space on your startup drive.  As you say, this can have a considerable impact on system performance.

I realize that keeping space free can be problematic for some users, especially if there system has a smaller drive.  However, they must be diligent, as keeping a minimum of free space free is important, even with SSD.

I urge clients to keep at least 10% of the hard drive free for best performanceand tell them 20 gigs is the point at which they need to make archival/housecleaning a priority, and to consider 10 gigs to be the 'danger zone' where cleanup is imperative and must be done ASAP.

Chris Hart
     Computer Support & Technology Consulting
        for Connecticut and Western Massachusetts
            Tel: 860-291-9393
                chris at chrishart.net
                    http://www.MyMacTech.com