[Hidden-tech] little rant about OSX -- was: PDF help, please

Shel Horowitz shel at principledprofit.com
Sun Mar 6 08:35:20 EST 2016

Hmmm, Nate, this is very interesting. My desktop is an Intel from (if I
remember correctly) 2009. I was told by several people when I looked into
it some years ago that there was no viable upgrade path to 10.6, that the
hardware demands of those operating systems were too much for my machine,
and if it ran at all it would run horribly. As it is, I spend far too much
time looking at the spinning ball even on my 10.9 laptop, despite upgrading
the memory. I do tend to have a lot of programs and windows open, which I
know doesn't help. I even avoid using Word when possible because it's
painfully slooooooooow (I use Nisus Wrter Pro, except for things that I
know how to do easily in Word and haven't figured out in Nisus).

I'm copying Kiernan from Green earth PC, who is a member of this list. I'd
love his perspective on upgrade paths.

On Sat, Mar 5, 2016 at 8:55 PM, Nate DeRose <natederose at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd be curious to know what your older-than-2012 macbook hardware is,
> because unless it's pre-intel, I'd suggest upgrading the OS anyway.
> I'm currently running a mid 2007 24" iMac on el capitan, and other than
> when I overload it with three different browsers and multiple VMs at the
> same time, it still runs quite well.
> I have kept up to date with OS updates and none have slowed things down.
>
> I am also one who likes to use things until they're used up.  (I most
> recently retired a 2000 vehicle as my primary transport after owning it for
> 13 years)... but nothing lives very long without regular updates
> (maintenance) and a bit of TLC.
>
> I also respectfully disagree with Chris about 10.10 and 10.11 being bad
> choices.   I've had no issues.
> Of course, your mileage may vary.
>
> -Nate

Watch (and please share) my TEDx Talk,
"Impossible is a Dare: Business for a Better World"
*http://www.ted.com/tedx/events/11809
<http://www.ted.com/tedx/events/11809>*

Contact me to bake in profitability while addressing hunger,
poverty, war, and catastrophic climate change

Twitter: @shelhorowitz

* First business ever to be Green America Gold Certified
* Inducted into the National Environmental Hall of Fame

http://goingbeyondsustainability.com
http://transformpreneur.com
mailto:shel at greenandprofitable.com * 413-586-2388
Award-winning, best-selling (8th) book:
Guerrilla Marketing Goes Green (co-authored with Jay Conrad Levinson)
Coming in April: Guerrilla Marketing to Heal the World