[Hidden-tech] Adobe Acrobat question

Steve Hawley hawley at plinth.org
Thu Jul 28 19:21:36 EDT 2016

Oh hey - you're using Acrobat! Good for you!
Many years ago, I worked on Acrobat and I can tell you that deciding
what should be printed (or not) is something that varies wildly on the
user's needs and as a result, the UI often is confusing. To makes things
even more confusing, Acrobat routinely changes it's UI so that something
you were familiar with before is now called something else and has been
moved somewhere else.

Text boxes added onto a page are annotations and/or form fields.
Annotations are not so much part of a page as added onto a page. And
even within annotations, there are different classes of annotations, one
major type called "mark up".

We had some interesting issues because one of group of users expected
that when they printed a page, they would see exactly what they saw on
their screen. Other people said, "no, I only want to see mark up
annotations." Other people said, "no, I only want to see the contents of
the page.

As a result, whether or not annotations should be printed got to be an
option.

In Acrobat 7, in the print dialog, there should be a Comments and Forms
section, which will let you select that you want to print Document and
Markups, which should do what you want.

Steve