[Hidden-tech] Mac laptop/iPad/iPod Donations for Zambia NGO

William Loving contact at dedicationtechnologies.com
Sat Jul 16 18:29:40 EDT 2016

In December, I will be traveling to Zambia to visit a friend who runs a small NGO that uses Macs and distributes Macs and PCs to schools and NGOs in Zambia.  The NGO, New Vision for Africa, is registered with the government there as a Charitable Organization and also has a 501(c)(3) corporation here in the US and has received past support from UNICEF and Ernst & Young amongst other for their projects. They also do a number of other projects including supporting small entrepreneurs, a group of honey farmers, and are currently working on starting a micro-loan program.

In years past I have assisted with the transfer of approximately 3000 working computers (8 cargo containers) for distribution to schools and NGOs. I’ve also helped obtain smaller number of computers that were hand carried by individual travelers to Zambia as “Excess Baggage”. The NVFA website has a slideshow showing the initial two containers from some years ago (http://newvisionforafrica.org/nvfa_slideshow.html)

This will be my first time visiting there and I would like to help the local staff with an upgrade to their existing, heavily traveled and ailing MacBooks. Because I’m not flying directly to Zambia and need to travel light, I’m hoping to find a couple of working MacBook Airs (any generation) that we can hand carry to them. An iPad or iPod Touch (any generation) would also be welcome.

Neither we nor NVFA have any budget for this, but if you have something that mostly works - laptop needing a new battery, iPad needing a new screen - and that could be affordably repaired, we might be able to find money for that. Ideally, though what we’re looking for would be fully functional computers. What we CAN do is give you a Tax Receipt for your donation and send you pictures of your old gear being put to use in Zambia.

Please keep in mind that we don’t need these until December, so if you’re planning to upgrade between now and then, this could be a worthy and worthwhile way to pass your old computer along. (New MacBooks are expected third quarter this year). Please email me directly if you have any questions.

Will

Will Loving, President
Dedication Technologies, Inc.

--