[Hidden-tech] Small soldering job

ussailis at shaysnet.com ussailis at shaysnet.com
Fri Jul 8 10:23:29 EDT 2016

The de-soldering part is the "iffy" part. Not unusual for traces/pads to
lift right off the board.

I have my prototype boards done by Alberta Printed Circuits for this
reason, they use FR-4 printed circuit board (PCB) material with "high test"
adhesive.

I have had an experience with a Lenovo T-43 laptop where a trace came up as
easily as one could imagine, one would think that Lenovo used quality
material.

Equipment is easy. TWO soldering irons are required for surface mount (SMT)
re-work, and not those whimpy 20 watt irons, either. The secret is to get
in and out as quickly as possible, using as little solder as possible.

I assume you are lifting a lead from the Atmel chip. Are you replacing the
chip, also? That makes a difference. The preferred method to remove the
chip is to cut the leads and remove the pieces that are left. This
minimizes damages to the PCB pads.

Obviously, the removed chip is done, as is any programming contained
therein.

I've the tools to do this, been doing SMT circuit design, prototype assy,
and some production work since the mid 90s. Started into chip technology in
the mid 70s.

Jim Ussailis

Original email: