[Hidden-tech] WordPress security question

Rich Roth webmaster at hidden-tech.net
Thu Jan 14 14:40:36 EST 2016

A few points of reference:
1) Attackers generally don't have a domain, because they are coming from an IP used to
login via comcast or some related network,
so you'd be blocking 1000's of possible visitors.

2) Attackers might come from suspect countries like .ru, .ro, or .cn but that is a very
poor way to identify them and rarely accurate.

3) Changing a password is good - there are plenty good generators online, expect 8-15
characters with a mix of upper, lower, numbers and special characters BUT unless your
prior password was really bad (like 12345) it was probably not the point of attack.

4) Using https is wonderful as a general rule but again, not likely how someone got it in
-- since not likely the attacker was on your local network

5) repeated, high rate IP activity is a good place to look for issues and a easy place to
block, at the server level is best and many have
denyhosts running routinely.   There are a number of good plugins in the WP plugin directory.

6) The best diagnostic you should do asap after the compromise is
     a) look for recently changed files, often in a tmp or cache directory;
         from an ssh command you can use:  find . -ctime -2 -ls (shows files changed
within the last 2 days)
     b) compare against a fresh WP install
     c) check the logs for repeated access from the same IP and look at what program files
were accessed.
         specifically look for IPs hitting lots of 404s because those are probes looking
for weaknesses.

In reality, the most likely point of attach is because:
      - the version of wordpress is old
     - there is an open exploit in one of the wordpress functions -- the wysiwyg editors
like fck are the worse, as they often
     have image upload functions that are very easy to crack.
     - the worst security hole in many CMS based systems today (WP, Joomla, drupal) is the
'update version' directly from the web
             admin dashboard, because that means your whole directory file tree of
programming is open to writing from the web server,
             which is how most attackers get in to cause trouble.

SO the best you can do is make sure as much of the directory tree is read-only to the web
server, and even root-writable only.
2nd best is to use ftp for updating with a different user from the web server.

For many WP system admins, it is necessary to upload images from the web dashboard, so
make sure *only *that directory tree
is web server writeable - (for WP) maybe even WPHOME/wp-content/uploads root-writable only
and create the new year 2016 directory by hand - so only that sub-tree is writable - and
make sure none of those files can be execute by php as programs,
which means something like this in an .htaccess file for those directories:
         RemoveHandler .php
         RemoveType .php
         php_flag engine off

Frankly, Shel without more info, we are guessing -- just remember in today's internet
EVERY web site is constantly being attacked.

Rich/webmaster

--
Rich Roth
Webmaster/Steering Committee Member