[Hidden-tech] Paying it forward: FSBO Lessons Learned

Marc Solomon attspin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 12:58:33 EDT 2016

I have come to rely on the crowdsourcing advice from Hidden Tech threads
through the years for references to numerous Pioneer Valley professionals
and practices, i.e. eliminating house mice.

My wife and I are in the throes of selling her remodeled home in Florence
and have learned through direct experience some stuff that may serve other
for-sale-by-owner list members going forward:

1. *Do not advertise in the Gazette for under $100*. That's the starting
range for a display add in the open house section of the weekend edition.
Otherwise you're looking at your own buried FSBO oblivion under rustified
BBQs. Also, you'll need to phone this this in during business hours. Such
listings can't be completed through the Gazette.net interface.

2. *Get on the MLS through a Flat Fee Listing Broker*. The MLS Listing is
consumed across the virtual realty universe (realtor.com, zillow, etc.) To
me the wider distribution is worth the trade-off of needing to cut-in the
buyer's broker. Also, I found no correlation between cost and quality. Lisa
Berry Properties in Merrimack Valley region was much more responsive than
the Better Business Bureau seal of approval for Buyself.com at three times
the price.

3. *Get an appraisal BEFORE you list*. The appraisal is a credible way to
assess not only the market value but the financing threshold for your
property. As you'll learn the estimation formulas for the virtual sites are
more "over-the-map" than the other comparables your would-be-buyers are
considering.

There will be other bumps along the way but I hope I answered some dormant
questions for list members considering whether to sell their own houses.

Marc
North Hadley