[Hidden-tech] Internet connection mystery

ussailis at shaysnet.com ussailis at shaysnet.com
Sun Sep 6 09:42:28 EDT 2015

Looks to me that the problem is in your WiFi card in the computer.

Caveat: I am a hardware person, so like the fellow with only a hammer, I
see issues as hardware problems.

Try:

First, remove all that stuff you might have added, that is extenders, etc.
Most of them offer little benefit, except to funnel $$ from you to the
company that made them.

Next tell your computer to use 802.11g. Not "t" or "n" or any other wizbang
variant.

Then do not have your computer too close to the wireless box. Yes there can
be too much signal which causes distortion.

Do not have the computer too far, which can cause lack of signal. This is
especially a problem with "speeds" higher than 802.11g. I suggest you try
about 10 to 15 feet to start.

Have your computer on a solid surface. If there is still a problem, move it
1 inch toward the WiFi access point.
   No I am not wearing an aluminum hat. 1 inch is about 1/4 wavelength of
the WiFi signal frequency. This movement will change a multipath problem,
if it exists. I suspect nothing will happen, though.

Finally, you might have a defective WiFi card. Try another. If the present
card is built-in, turn it off & try a USB WiFi gadget.

Why? The WiFi card has in it the stuff that determines the transmission
channel and frequency for the WiFi signal. This circuit could have drifted,
which is not uncommon.

Frequency drift is the most common problem that I see in low cost wireless
circuits. Ultimately, frequency is determined by a quartz crystal
oscillator. That crystal can vary from 20 cents to many bucks in cost,
depending on the "cut" from the rock. Low cost crystals are not so
frequency stable.

---
That reminds me. Most WiFi boxes are set to come on at Channel 6
(mid-band). Most are never changed, so Channel 6 gets over occupied. You
might also get into the program software and change that channel. For want
of anything better I use channel 1.

Why 802.11g?

There is a difference between MHz bandwidth and data rate. The newer
protocals use multiple digital states within each Hz of bandwidth. That's
how a 50 MHz or so data rate can be squeezed into an 11 MHz bandwidth.

Unfortunately: 1. How this is done can vary as the Standards are not yet
firm, and 2. Any of these tricks requires either more transmit power (not
allowed in EU) or more receiver sensitivity (not possible). Yes, there is
no free lunch.

Finally, an important WiFi box setting:

A few WiFi access points have a "hidden" method for setting of the transmit
power. Mine asks for my location; US, Canada, Europe.

The reason is the US and Canada allow a one watt maximum output power, EU
allows one-tenth that amount (100 milliwatts). Some other entities allow
even less, much less. Japan was one a few years back.

My Access point provides 200 mW if it is set for the US. But, I found that
was too much when I sat at the kitchen table, close to the box. Often the
connection was poor. So I told it I was in the EU. Problem solved.

Hope some of this helps,

Jim Ussailis

Original email: