[Hidden-tech] Best CMS for custom user permissions

Tim Boudreau niftiness at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 16:04:50 EST 2015

I'm a known non-fan of all things PHP, so I won't speak to that part of it
- but I have architected lots of systems like this, and hairy permissions
issues are one of those things best avoided if possible - by definition
you're comparing a tree of documents against a heterogenous tree of
permissions, which has complexity that affects how things scale.

It sounds like 90% of the complexity is driven by wanting "staff" stuff to
be hosted in the same system as public data, and if that distinction
disappears, most of the complexity goes with it.   Have you considered
simply hosting the "staff" stuff in a separate system?  It might not be
ideal from a one-stop-shopping perspective, but might be considerably
cheaper.

-Tim

--
http://timboudreau.com