[Hidden-tech] Best CMS for custom user permissions

Greg Perham glp at gregperham.com
Thu Nov 12 19:03:34 EST 2015

WordPress vs. Drupal vs. other question for you all:

I'd like to know, in a general sort of way, how you would go about configuring your CMS of choice for this scenario. Is the CMS built in a way that easily facilitates this? What are the broad-stroke steps you would perform to set it up?

Guests (visitors not logged in):
- cannot read Staff Blog
- cannot read Staff Calendar events
- can read public Community Calendar events
- cannot read private Community Calendar events

Community:
- cannot read Staff Blog
- cannot read Staff Calendar events
- can read public Community Calendar events
- can read private Community Calendar events

Staff:
- can read Staff Blog
- cannot create Staff Blog posts
- can create Staff Calendar events
- can read all Community events
- can create Community events

Staff Contributor:
- can read everything
- can create Staff Blog posts and all event types
- cannot edit Pages, etc

- Staff Blog not included in any RSS feeds or sitemap
- private Community events not included in any RSS feeds or sitemap

WordPress does have User Roles and a permissions system. The most straight forward solution would be to create custom Roles and permissions and then hide posts/events from being displayed, but that doesn't block them from feeds and can lead to situations where you're expecting 10 blog posts on a page and only get 8 because 2 of those queried were skipped from display; it doesn't work on a category-wide level, and certainly doesn't have any affect on creating posts. I think you'd have to do some intricate work with `pre_get_posts` and (forthcoming) taxonomy meta to truly block posts everywhere, and create a front-end content creation interface to have the best control over that aspect. In all, quite clunky and labor-intensive.

I wrote a plugin that will do a much simplified version of this for WP's built-in post categories using `current_user_can('read_private_posts')`, but it falls far short of the requirements above.

So, do other CMSes have an integrated system for this sort of thing, where you can control content visibility/editability/creation by content type and taxonomy? I've been told one of the major selling points of Drupal is the permissions system. Am I overlooking a scheme for an elegant solution in WP?

And…go! :)

Regards,
Greg