[Hidden-tech] Request for Proposals (RFP): rCredits Smartphone App

William Spademan wspademan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 17:24:11 EST 2015

* rCredits Smartphone App -- **Request for Proposals*
November 2015

   1.

   Project Overview. Create (within 4 months), using the Ionic Framework, a
   mobile app for rCredits®, a democratic community-centered payment and
   funding system (see rCredits.org <http://rcredits.org>). An individual
   or company agent runs the rCredits App on a mobile device to display a QR
   code or to scan another rCredits member’s QR code. Here’s the core of what
   the app needs to do, step by step:
   1.

      A cashier uses the app to scan a QR code on a customer’s rCard® or
      mobile device.
      2.

      The app asks the rCredits server to verify the customer’s identity,
      using an existing  RPC protocol.
      3.

      The server supplies the customer’s name and photo, which the app then
      displays. The cashier makes sure the photo matches the one on
the rCard and
      matches the customer’s face.
      4.

      The cashier types an amount to charge the customer.
      5.

      The app uploads that transaction and receives confirmation or an
      error message from the server.
      6.

      The app can also do all this offline if there is no connectivity at
      present, and upload transactions later when there is.
      7.

      Several other much simpler features: self-service mode, reversals,
      refunds, exchanging rCredits for US Dollars (or vice versa),
signing in by
      scanning a company agent rCard, displaying the customer’s balance,
      displaying a one-time QR code to make a purchase, scanning a QR code to
      make a payment, changing the transaction description, handling
      out-of-storage, reconciling time of day with the server, warnings about
      errors in the device’s configuration (unrealistic date,
auto-update turned
      off, no wifi), allowing more than one individual or company to
use the app
      on a single device, uploading logs and database records.
      2.

   About Us. Common Good Finance® is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization
   incorporated in Massachusetts.
   1.

      Vision. We envision a society in which communities everywhere gather
      to decide for themselves what their funding priorities should be. For
      example, communities might choose to fund sustainable agriculture and
      energy systems and local self-reliance. Communities might choose
to ensure
      that everyone has healthy food, a home, healthcare, satisfying
work, and a
      livable world -- a Common Good Economy.
      2.

      Mission. Our mission is to design and create the framework for that
      new economy by integrating a fast-growing mutual credit system (that we
      designed) with a new type of bank account, so that community-centered
      decision-making, money-creation, innovation, cooperation, and economic
      justice can connect seamlessly to the current mainstream economy. This
      hybrid system lets us have tomorrow's economy today -- serving also as a
      transitional system that can lead us quickly to a society that benefits
      everyone.
      3.

      Strategy. To that end, we launched rCredits, in Greenfield,
      Massachusetts, in 2013. In April 2015 we launched a second pilot in Ann
      Arbor, Michigan. The rCredits concept has now been thoroughly
tested and we
      have begun to help other communities prepare to use rCredits — so that,
      over time, there will be a network of rCredits communities collaborating
      for community-centered democratic control of the economy.
      3.

   Software Requirements Specification. See rc4.me/specs. Proposals may
   include enhancements or minor changes to these specifications.
   4.

   Timeline and Deliverables
   1.

      12/1/2015: Sign contract for development. Begin development.
      2.

      2/1/2016: Complete user-interface, testable by us (without storage,
      communication with server, or real QR scanning)
      3.

      4/1/2016: Deliver fully-functional app (with source code) and
      comprehensive, usable behavior-driven tests, for beta testing.
      4.

      4/1/2016 to 10/1/2016: Fix any reported bugs.
      5.

   Budget: Common Good Finance has budgeted $20,000 for this project. We
   will entertain proposals for up to $30,000, but would love to pay $10,000
   or less.
   6.

   Criteria for Selection: We will select the proposal that best balances
   our criteria:
   1.

      Track record of creating outstanding apps on schedule, for highly
      satisfied customers.
      2.

      Support of Common Good Finance’s mission.
      3.

      Low price.
      4.

      Early delivery.
      7.

   Proposal Format and Timeline: We are accepting proposals throughout
   November 2015. The proposal may simply specify deviations from the Software
   Requirement Specification <http://rc4.me/specs> (or affirm it), or it
   may take any form the consultant finds effective. The proposal should
   ideally include an hourly rate, estimated number of hours, and a cap
   (maximum).

Email proposals to William Spademan, Executive Director, Common Good
Finance, info at commongoodfinance.org (413-628-1723), with subject “rCredits
App Proposal”.

--
William Spademan