[Hidden-tech] 6-13-15: Design Thinking Workshop w. Bootcamp Session: The Fundamentals of Human Centered Design - by DVWM

Lisa Hoag 1world4all at gmail.com
Fri May 29 18:38:52 EDT 2015

Hello All,
Please join us for Design Thinking: The Fundamentals of Human Centered
Design - hosted by Design Venturers Western Mass the Holyoke ARTery

WHAT: I will be hosting a half day Design Thinking Workshop on the
Fundamentals of Design Thinking with a Design Thinking Bootcamp Session
where you can try out the process. (Workshop overview below)

LUNCH will be provided.
WHEN: Saturday, June 13, 2015, 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
WHERE: The Massachusetts Green High Performance Computing Center
100 Bigelow St, Holyoke, MA
Phone: 413.552.4900

Led by designer,  Lisa Hoag

To Register:
http://bit.ly/1efQG6z

COST: $35
(Note: cost is $30 for DVWM members):
For DVWM event page:
http://www.meetup.com/Design-Venturers-Western-Mass/events/222169140/

The Facebook event page:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1041744962520411/

I'd love it if you would like the DVWM facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/DesignVenturersWesternMass

Design Thinking Bootcamp: The Fundamentals of Human Centered Design:
Why is Design Thinking the Game Changing new approach to innovation and
creative design?

According to David Kelley, founder of Stanford University’s d.school and
the global design firm IDEO, design thinking is a “human centered design
process using rapid prototyping and an iterative approach to solve complex
problems.”  It seeks to reawaken the “creative confidence” of individuals
through visual thinking and intuition, skills often dormant since childhood.

Rather than analyzing an idea grounded in theory and positing an abstract
solution, design thinkers prototype, meaning they create solutions through
simulations that elicit new data and refine questions.

Design thinking is [also] a system of overlapping spaces. When approaching
a challenge, design thinkers attempt to empathize with the perspectives and
needs of the end users. …Design thinkers define the problem according to
the articulated needs of the end users (people), and ideate through
brainstorming that generates many ideas for possible solutions.

Where traditional business problems solving employs the formula KNOW > DO,
Design Thinking employs the formula of KNOW > MAKE > DO. By creating a
tandem pairing of quick and inexpensive prototypes and testing, we learn
more about our users, how to refine our prototype/design idea, and whether
we have correctly framed our design challenge. It is the unexpected things
we find while prototyping that lead to extraordinary innovation.

WORKSHOP OVERVIEW:
-The fundamental principles of design thinking / with Design Thinking 90
minute bootcamp session

• IT"S ALL ABOUT PEOPLE!: Design Thinking is design with a heart. It is
fundamentally human-centered at its core - put your customers on your
design team.

• COLLABORATIVE TEAMS: Create a successful team framework for being
stewards of the creative space. Creativity doesn't just "happen". It needs
a positive supportive environment in which to thrive.

• MASTERING THE BRAINSTORMING/IDEATION PROCESS: Not all brainstorms are
equal. I'll show techniques to make brainstorming fun and effective. The
energy in a successful brainstorming session is like an electric circuit.
Positive energy generates the flow of creative energy. Negativity breaks
the circuit.

• THE SIX PHASES OF THE DESIGN THINKING PROCESS: We will cover the 6 phases
of the Design Thinking Process;
1. DEFINE; 2. DISCOVER; 3. INTERPRET; 4. IDEATE; 5. MAKE - EXPERIMENT; 6.
LEARN AND EVOLVE

• DESIGN THINKING BOOTCAMP TEST DRIVE: Putting it all together. I will be
taking you out for a design thinking 90 minute spin around the block, so
you can try out the entire process. The best way to learn Design Thinking
is by doing it. The more you do it, the better you will understand it.
Design Thinking is an iterative, integrative process.

I'm looking forward to sharing this wonderful, fun, voyage into uncharted
territory with all of you.

We look forward to seeing you there!

Cheers, to All :)

Lisa Hoag

PS: GRATITUDE :) This Series is Co-Sponsored by The ARTery Project and it's
many wonderful partners, and by  Design Venturers Western Mass.
--
Lisa Hoag Designs
PO Box 983