[Hidden-tech] Cellphone service

Deborah Chandler debchandler411 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 23:31:29 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I need to decide if I am keeping my Verizon service or switching to
another carrier. What is the best way to determine which carrier truly
has the best coverage for a certain location?

My Verizon service at my new home is marginal. About 1/3 of calls
won't go through. Verizon has determined, through sending a technician
out, that yes, coverage here in my neighborhood in South Hadley is
"marginal", and because of this, they will let me out of my contract
without an Early Termination Fee if I choose to leave. I have
requested they provide me with a network extender for free, but the
lowest they will go is $125. (half of the full price of $249.). They
suggest I write a letter to their Correspondence Team to pursue this
further if I decide to.

Regarding coverage, a salesperson at a corporate Verizon store said
"all the carriers' maps lie" so don't rely on them for accurate
coverage details. My understanding is that Verizon has the best
overall, and AT&T is 2nd? Where do Sprint, T-Mobile and others fit in
these days?

I thought I would have great coverage here, given that I am in the
shadows of Westover Air Base. But now I am told that the base may
actually shield coverage from neighboring users. Who knew?

Thanks in advance,
Deb