[Hidden-tech] Why phishing won't go away

Jan Werner jwerner at jwdp.com
Sat Jan 24 11:37:25 EST 2015

A few days ago, I received a phishing email trying to obtain my Intuit
password. I would normally just have deleted it, but this one was so
well crafted and clever that I forwarded it to the address Intuit
provides to report these kinds of things ( spoof at intuit.com ).

Yesterday, I received an reply from Intuit that began as follows:

Thank you for your recent message to the TurboTax Privacy Team.

We also thank you for reporting this e-mail to us as it is not
legitimate. We are investigating now and will take action on it. We have
the following support site article to help you understand phishing and
what you can do to avoid it.

http://turbotax.com/support/go/-------    [case reference # removed]

When you suspect you are being phished :

1.    Do not click on a link in a suspicious email, but rather go to the
company site and view the information. Even if a suspicious email is not
requesting personal information, it may contain viruses that can
retrieve personal information off of a computer.

Compare the instruction in the initial paragraphs with the advice
immediately following as to how to avoid becoming a phishing victim.

The "Privacy Team" at Intuit seem totally oblivious to this disconnect.

You really have to wonder which side these people are on.