[Hidden-tech] OS Security (was Re: Any experience with a Virus that attacksdocuments?)

Gyepi SAM gyepi-hidden-tec at praxis-sw.com
Sat Jan 17 20:07:45 EST 2015

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 01:59:12PM -0500, Jan Werner wrote:
> Also, the idea that Macs are immune to viruses is simply wrong.  The
> only reason there are fewer OS-X viruses than for Windows is that there
> are at least ten Windows PCs in operation for every Mac, so most virus
> writers don’t bother with the latter.  But not all, and there has been
> some particularly nasty Mac malware found in the wild in the past couple
> of years.

I think this statement needs clarification lest it create the wrong impression
in the minds of those who may not know enough to make their own distinctions.

Yes, part of the reason most virus writers target Windows is because it is
ubiquitous. However, the other important reason is that Windows has a broken
security model and it is much easier to write virus software for it.

Conversely, it is harder to write a virus for OSX or Unix and and the payoff
is considerably more limited (unless you target privileged processes, but
that's a different kind of attack).

I may sound like a crank but this bears repeating; the simplest solution to
these Windows problems is to stop using Windows.

Fortunately, there are alternatives. They are not perfect but they are more secure.

I gave up on Windows and switched to Linux 18+ years ago.
Now, I also use OSX and think it is a fine alternative.

-Gyepi

--
A computer is a tool for helping one get on with life however one does,
not a battle ground between viruses and anti-viruses. --me