[Hidden-tech] Why I will never buy Lenovo products again

Jan Werner jwerner at jwdp.com
Fri Feb 20 19:39:17 EST 2015

Browser hijackers are programs designed to steal from online merchants,
and from sites that depend on advertising and click-throughs for income,
by intercepting and redirecting their Web traffic.  That is not at all
the same as using information collected in profiles and databases to
serve ads or steer users to specific sellers.

Microsoft’s own Safety & Security Center puts it bluntly: “Browser
hijacking is a type of online fraud.“

http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/browser-hijacking.aspx

Superfish is a browser hijacker.

An unfortunate side effect of price competition is that manufacturers
feel the need to increase their income by selling rights to preload all
kinds of junk software on the systems they sell. But there are limits to
what even the most craven companies can expect to get away with.

I can believe that the responsible people at Lenovo were so incompetent
as not to realize that Superfish compromised the integrity of their
user’s systems. What is unforgivable is that the company would even
consider installing software whose only purpose is to commit fraud.

Lenovo’s CTO has apologized for “messing up,” not for the fundamental
dishonesty of the company’s actions.  As far as I am concerned, that is
simply not enough. Except for one mini HTPC, all the Windows computers I
have owned and used for many years were made by Lenovo, but I will never
buy any of their products again.

Jan Werner