[Hidden-tech] Cell phone towers and power outages

ussailis at shaysnet.com ussailis at shaysnet.com
Sun Aug 2 08:19:31 EDT 2015

While I only quickly skimmed the FCC doc, I offer:

1. Reread paragraph 12.2(c)(7). Many cell sites are privately owned and
leased to the major carriers. Do they come under these rules?

2. When there is a good ice storm can the generator be refueled? Out here
in the hinterlands "natural" gas service is usually not available
everywhere. Propane or diesel only lasts so long.

3. The FCC has proposed closing a bit more than 50% of its regional
offices. That was reduced to a 50% closing, thanks to the ARRL. Since there
are now few regional office, how many engineers are left to tramp out to
some sites to check on the truth of a report?

4. The FCC has become a lawyer org. In the past it had many engineers.

If it sounds like I am down on the FCC, you are right! In the past one
could count on the agency to fix problems, now you can count on then to
write about it & pass unenforced rules.

What do I think about a copper based phone system. First, the phone lines
are the lowest lines on the pole. They often last longer when trees &
branches fall. In the past the phone company maintained a large battery
bank at the CO. Now? I don't know, but the phone company sure lasts during
power outages. Longer than my cell phone does!

So, I do pay the high rate for a landline.

Jim Ussailis

PS Antennae are for bugs, antennas are for radios. Sorry, that's an IEEE
definition.

Original email: