[Hidden-tech] Event 5/7 - Design Thinking: The Game-Changing Strategy of Human-Centered Innovation

Lisa Hoag 1world4all at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 15:42:29 EDT 2015

Come Experience the Game-Changing Power of Design Thinking:
an Introduction to Design Thinking Including a "DesignStormer" Rapid
Brainstorming Session.

*Design Thinking: The Game Changing Strategy of Human Centered Innovation*
http://www.meetup.com/Design-Venturers-Western-Mass/events/221697034/

WHEN: Thursday, May 7, 2015
6:30 PM to 9:00 PM

WHERE: Massachusetts Green High Performance Computing Center
100 Bigelow St., Holyoke, MA

In the Community Room. Free to DVWM members, 5$ donation for non-members at
the door

Hello to All Creatives and Innovators (aka everyone :),

"The emerging creative, innovative class … will be the dominating force for
the next economy of the 21st century." ~George Kotsmetsky, "The Economic
Transformation of the United States: 1950 - 2000"

WHY:
Come learn why Design Thinking is THE essential game-changing strategic
skill set for innovation, which will be mission critical for business
success in the emerging global creative economy of the 21st century. It is
of even more vital importance for those of us engaged in the creative
industries to become adept in its principles.

Tim Brown, CEO of IDEO, defines Design Thinking thus:
“Design thinking is a human-centered approach to innovation that draws from
the designer's toolkit to integrate the needs of people, the possibilities
of technology, and the requirements for business success.

"Thinking like a designer can transform the way organizations develop
products, services, processes, and strategy. This approach, which IDEO
calls design thinking, brings together what is desirable from a human point
of view with what is technologically feasible and economically viable. It
also allows people who aren’t trained as designers to use creative tools to
address a vast range of challenges."

WHAT:
I'll be giving a presentation and introduction to the principles of Design
Thinking and Human-Centered Design, how to understand the six stages of the
design thinking process and how to employ it as an effective and advanced
problem solving and innovation tool, which can be applied to any challenge.
It's principles can be applied solo, or as an effective method for
collaborative team innovation.

6:30pm: Schmooze, network and meet

7:00pm: Introduction to the Power of Design Thinking, with a breakout of
the six phases of the design thinking process, the design thinking
brainstorming "rules", and a half hour "lightningstormer" brainstorming
session, to give you a taste of design thinking's power to innovate.

WHO:
Who is this workshop for? Creative Folk aka Everyone :)
Definition of a Designer:
"A Designer is anyone who devises ways to change existing situations into
preferred ones." ~Herbert Simon

We genuinely hope you will join us, from any field, focus or discipline
that could benefit from a creativity-based, human centered process for
innovation :)

This will be a the first in a series of workshops and presentations
designed to help you become fluent in Design Thinking principles and
practice.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Best,

Lisa

MORE about Design Thinking:
In his book, "The Designful Company", Marty Neumeier states that radical
brand differentiation arising from innovation is the most necessary and
"powerful strategy in business for companies, products, and brands to stand
out from a marketplace of increasing clutter". He further adds, "…if
innovation drives differentiation, what drives innovation? The answer,
hidden in plain sight, is design. Design contains the skills to identify
possible futures, invent exciting products, build bridges to customers,
crack wicked problems, and more. If you wanna innovate, you gotta design."

According to Richard Florida in his essay, "The Future of the American
Workforce in the Global Creative Economy", "The U.S. is at the forefront of
[a new] global creative economy. Over the next decade, it’s projected to
add 10 million more creative sector jobs, according to the newest numbers
from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. At the present rate of increase,
creative jobs alone will soon eclipse the total number of jobs in all of
manufacturing. Already, more than 40 million Americans work in the creative
sector, which has grown by 20 million jobs since the 1980s. It accounts for
more than $2 trillion USD—or nearly half—of all wages and salaries paid in
the U.S."

In other words, in the next emerging creative economy, we will see value as
something that we create; that we envision, renew, and foster, rather than
something we extract. We are coming to perceive that in a finite world, a
healthy, sustainable, viable economic system, as well as a genuine strategy
for creating business value must rely on the quality of the relationships
between the elements of any system, and must create value, in the form of
quality of life, for all of its stakeholders. We are coming to recognize
that the potential of the whole is far, far greater than the monetization
of its segregated parts; that true beauty, even in the form of business
value, comes from relationships, and genuinely equitable economic exchange.

In the last economy we have reached and exceeded our goal of maximizing and
stockpiling ever increasing returns, at a pace that now exceeds our
planet's ability to regenerate, or our sustainable capacity as human beings
to "produce". Globally, we are literally unravelling, and coming apart at
the seams. We are losing the experience of life as a wholesome experience.
The paradigm shift that is now imminently necessary for us as a society is
a radical shift towards value in community, which must be accomplished with
astonishing alacrity.

As creatives, we possess a core skill set that is ideally suited for this
monumental mission. For what artists really do, when they are at their
best, is to "see anew", to first so deeply listen and observe the world,
that out of that intensity of observation, arises an entirely original and
unique way of perceiving beauty and value in any subject, in other words -
inspiration. This is what I call deep design. Creativity is part of our
"basic equipment" as human beings. It is not just something that a few
people are born with as "talent". It is a muscle that can grow strong by
practice, just as we strengthen any other muscle in the body through
exercise. Anyone who has ever daydreamed, or appreciated a beautiful spring
day, or devised a solution to a problem, is exercising their innate gift of
creativity. What artists then do in addition to the practice of
inspirational "seeing" that all human beings do, is to create something new
out of their observations, which communicates their vision to others. As
creatives (and again, we are all creative), it is our job to rewrite the
conversation about the job that art does in our society. Art and design at
a high level are not gift wrapping at the end of a process. They are meant
to re-envision core structures and concepts for any project, in order to
renew beauty and elegance in human experience.