[Hidden-tech] Recommendations for a contract publishing partner?

Jennifer Marrapese jmarrapese at nesea.org
Wed Apr 8 16:19:41 EDT 2015

Hi all,

My association publishes a member magazine twice a year, and a member
directory once each year (both in hard copy and digital form). Hard copies
are sent to all of our 1100+ members, and the extras are sent to our office
so that we can distribute them at trade shows and other events. Circulation
is 6,000 per issue. In the past, we have handled the project management,
copy editing, layout and the ad sales in house. We are exploring the
possibility of working with a contract publishing company to handle the ad
sales, layout, printing and mailing of both the magazine and the directory.

We have identified one such company who is willing to provide these
services free-of-charge in exchange for being able to keep the lion's share
of the ad revenues. I would like to find at least one other such provider
so that I can solicit a competitive bid. Do any of you all use a contract
publishing company that you can recommend?

Anything in particular I should be on the lookout for? The things I'm most
concerned about, at least initially, are:

   - I'd like to set an upper limit to the ratio between ads and content
   - I want to ensure that their graphic designers can follow our style
   guide and mimic our current branding
   - I'd like to maximize the revenue share for the advertising they sell
   - I want to be sure that they are not going to be overly aggressive
   sales people, and that they won't alienate our members

Any thoughts? Resources you can recommend? Thanks!

Jennifer

--
*Jennifer J. Marrapese*
Executive Director, Northeast Sustainable Energy Association

Northeast Sustainable Energy Association (NESEA)
*Join me at - **Building**Energy 15**, March 3-5, 2015 in Boston *
*#BE15: Knowledge. Experience. Community **- all found here. Click here for
event info & registration. <http://nesea.org/conference/buildingenergy-15>*
*NESEA advances the adoption of sustainable energy practices in the built
environment*