[Hidden-tech] Everest v. Acumatica and Microsoft NAV

Jeremy Dunn jeremy.j.dunn at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 15:47:32 EDT 2014

Hal,

I was project director for a two-year, ~$800k implementatation of a heavily
customized MS Navision (later rebranded as MS Dynamics NAV) system, in
2005-2007.  Based on that experience I'd say NAV is probably overkill for a
small business; if not in the pricing, then probably in the feature-set and
difficulty / complexity of implementation.  There are a lot of setups: it's
designed to run a mid-sized business with complex general ledger, many
sub-modules, a full programming language, etc.

MS has a stack of mid-tier ERP-like packages, all of which they acquired in
the past 10-15 years:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics/default.aspx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Dynamics

I'm not too familiar with the other products in this line (AX=Axapta,
GP=Gupta, SL=Solomon), but my impression is that NAV is somewhere near the
top of the heap.  Perhaps your friend's business would be better served by
one of the lower-tier, less expensive, less-complex packages.

Also, if your friend is "not a techie", then she should understand that the
total cost of implementation may be (will be?) considerably expanded by the
consultant(s) she needs to implement a feature-rich but complex solution
like NAV.  It is definitely not a do-it-yourself proposition for a
non-technical small-business owner.  If her business is really complex
enough to need this kind of software, then it deserves the care / attention
/ time / experience of someone who can make that implementation successful.
Generally, the VARs / resellers provide this kind of service; but there are
also others.

- Jeremy