[Hidden-tech] Online backup for video production

Chris Hart, MyMacTech.com chris at chrishart.net
Mon Oct 13 07:13:15 EDT 2014

I was not aware of this restriction with Backblaze and I'm going to
investigate it further, and find out if it's still an issue in 2014.

However, I want to point out that, even with backup utilities that don't
have such a restriction, you shouldn't presume that just because a 'busy'
file can be backed up by a backup utility, that doesn't mean that the actual
backup will be valid.

Why?  Because there are several apps and document types that cannot be
properly backed up, when the app or the document is still open.  For
example, with the Windows version of Outlook (with it's single PST file),
there is a strong chance that a backup performed while the app is running,
will not be valid (or will have corruption that will make it troublesome).
Because there is a high degree of likeliness that the PST will be modified
during the backup.

And most databases ‹ including Access, 4D, FileMaker, etc. ‹ cannot be
effectively backed up by normal means.  You should always have an automatic
within the database app, that runs at a regular interval and creates a
database archive/backup.  Then *that* file can be properly backed up by your
backup utilities (that backup all your other files).

For example, a client of mine (a veterinarian practice) has a
customer/patient information database app, based on 4D, that has a built-in
automatic backup, that I have set to run several times a day.  This file
goes into their Dropbox (on top of them also using BackBlaze)

I believe both QuickBooks and Quicken have the ability to create automatic
backups at certain intervals.  You should always have this function on ‹
especially if you use QuickBooks and it's being accessed by multiple users ‹
because, again, there is potential for corruption of the backup by the file
being modified part way through the external backup.

In the case of a client of mine who uses AccountEdge, they were not in the
habit of quitting the app at the end of the day and there were incidents
where they lost a day's worth of work, because the database was corrupted,
but the previous evening's backup was invalid (because the app was left
open).  I put a post-it reminder on people's monitors, but when it happened
a second time, I switched to putting an alarm/reminder on their calendar
(that goes off at 4:30), which reminds them to close the app.
(Unfortunately, AccountEdge, has no internal, automatic backup mechanism ‹
despite my asking the developer for one, on several occasions.)

Based on my years of experience as a computer consultant, the best practice
is to close apps at the end of the day.  So, If you're in the habit of
leaving apps open overnight, I would urge you to get out of the habit.
Because it can definitely hinder the ability of automatic backups.  Plus,
your system will run better the next day if you start with a clean slate.

Chris Hart

    • Computer Support & Technology Consulting

        for Connecticut and Western Massachusetts

            Tel: 860-291-9393

                http://www.MyMacTech.com