[Hidden-tech] iPad Mail problem

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Mon May 19 15:57:58 EDT 2014

On Mon, 19 May 2014 14:14:37 -0400, Jeff Rutherford <jeff at jeffrutherford.com> wrote:
> I’ve encountered this issue with iPad Mail - several times recently - and it’s incredibly frustrating!
>
> This morning I was at Starbucks in Northampton. I spent more than hour reading and processing email via the iPad Apple mail app. I deleted 100+ messages, archived some, etc. However, after all that time, I minimized Mail, checked something in my browser, went back to the Mail app, and I was looking at a completely full inbox again, as if I had done nothing for the past hour. More than 100 messages were sitting there marked as unread - that I had just spent an hour weeding through and reading.
>
> With iOS Mail, I’m checking 5 different email accounts - several of those are gmail or google app accounts, 1 or 2 of them are IMAP accounts, etc. It was the same behavior across all accounts.
>
> I’ve done some Googling, but couldn’t really find any solutions. Has anyone else encountered this issue? What did you do to solve it? It’s really, really frustrating. I’ve always liked the iPad exactly for the ability to process email without having to lug my laptop around. But, with this morning, I lost a couple of hours of work, and will have to “process” all this email once again via my laptop.
>
> Any suggestions, solutions welcome.

>From your description what it sounds like is that you didn't "really"
have a connection to the net, at least not for the mail protocols,
so the changes were not synced up to the server(s), and then for some
reason the iPad restarted the mail ap and re-downloaded the current
server state...which didn't include any of the changes.

Note that the web browser working does *not* prove that any other
port will work, though it would be quite surprising for an
internet-cafe situation to have the email ports blocked.

If my guess was anywhere near correct, though, there *should* have been
an error message about it not being able to sync to the server :(

--David