[Hidden-tech] Email to task list / ticket system.

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Fri May 2 15:09:28 EDT 2014

On Fri, 02 May 2014 14:35:03 -0400, "Town Websites" <townwebsites at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, David (and others).  Do you know if Roundup Tracker
> has good NGINX integration?  The servers I admin run NGinx because I can run
> multiple SSL sites with a single IP.

Well, Roundup itself runs as a server listening on localhost, so I
believe it should be easy to integrate with any web server than can handle
proxying.  A quick google turns up some discussion of people using it
with NGINX.  (Apache can do the single-ip-ssl as well, but I understand
there are other reasons to prefer NGINX.)

> Also, do you know of any demo builds that show Roundup in action?  It looks
> like there is good documentation but little in the way of screenshots or
> demos.

Well, bugs.python.org is Roundup as a straight issue tracker, as is
issues.roundup-tracker.org.  You'll want to create an account on at least
one of them to see what the issue submission and issue update forms look
like.  Obviously you can't see what it looks like from an admin point of
view on either of those, but the only difference is the ability to edit
more fields (and see a few fields that are not visible to non-admins).
Well, that, and the ability to modify the contents of things like the
'status', 'versions', etc lists via the web interface.

All of the display screens are templates, and you can tailor them
arbitrarily, with very flexible support for what gets displayed and what
actions are taken when a form is submitted.  Roundup customization comes
in basically three parts: modifying the database schema (and associated
security rules), modifying the templates, and, for advanced stuff, writing
small 'reactor' programs in Python that can trigger actions based on the
changes to the database requested by the form (or email) submissions.
In other words, you can do a *lot* just by adding some fields and/or
objects to the database schema and putting the appropriate values in
the forms specified by the templates, and even more by writing
some reactors.

--David

http://murrayandwalker.com              http://www.bitdance.com